Wednesday 28 July 2010

Creating a frame in photoshop.




I have been asked to post instructions for creating a border round an image in photoshop. It's a relatively easy process. First open your image and do all your adjustments, when you have finished and happy with you image do the following:

Original




1. Go to image and on the drop down select canvas
2. Your current size will be shown here, where it says new size you will see your current sizes in the boxes. These can now be altered. I have my default settings set for inches but yours may show cm. For this example I will use an image size of 12x8 inches or 30.48cm 20.32cm.
3. Now change the sizes in both boxes adding the size of the border concerned. for example a 2 inch border would be 14x10 inches or. 35.56 x 25.4 cm.
4. At the bottom of this box it says canvas extension colour click on the drop down and you can choose any colour you like for your border. When happy click ok. This will increase the border around your image. like so. I have used grey here as blogger uses a white border by default.








5. Select the rectangular marquee tool which is usually the second tool from the top on your left hand side tool bar, it looks like a square made of dotted lines. Place the cross at the left tip of the image, thats the image not the canvas. (Arrowed)
Left click and hold while dragging your mouse to the right until the cross is situated at the bottom right tip of the image. Your image should end up with a flashing dotted line around the photo.
6. Now go to select on the top tool bar and select inverse on the drop down. You should now have two flashing dotted lines one round the image and one round the canvas.
7. Next go to edit on the top tool bar and select stoke on the drop down. A box will open select a width and a colour you can change these to what suits you click in the colour box and choose a colour. for this example I chose a width of 6 and the colour black. Blending should be normal and opacity 100%. Location should say centre. Click Ok you now have a line around the image and at the edge of the canvas as shown.









You can take things a step further by adding text using the text tool, which creates a layer for you to write on. Add a title and copyright and your image is complete. Remember when you are happy with you text you must flatten the image by going to Layer on the top tool bar and down to flatten image on the drop down. once you have done this go to file SAVE AS, this will save it as a new image leaving the original intact.







I would like to thank my cat Simba who without his help this post would not have been made possible.
I hope you found these instruction east to follow. Any problems let me know.










7 comments:

Kilauea Poetry said...

I'm using FotoSketcher write now but think this is really nice! Normally it's just been Picasa? I kind of like your Santa. I read what you wrote on Sandra's blog and found it interesting. I'm using a Sony Cybershot..little different.

DawnTreader said...

Hi and thanks for the visit to my blog. You might well be right about the gulls, we may have more than one kind along the river here. I really only get close to the ones who seem to prefer walking to flying ;)

I've only got a point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix so far, and so no f stops for me - yet ;)

MadSnapper said...

thanks fro more lessons in photoshop. everyone is liking your comments on my blog and commenting on your comments. I did try the soda can thing and learned a lot. now i am finding out some of the people who have wonderful photos are using point and shoots, and doing a fantastic job of it.

Valerie said...

Interesting post. I'm fine with creating frames, but anything else curdles my brain and I just give up.

Valerie said...

Heehee thanks for the explanation re Coolpix, I looked at my point and shoot with new eyes ... and then I read your next comment and had a bit of a giggle.

Elaine said...

I came over from Montanagirl's blog. I'm always looking for all the help I can get, both in Photoshop and taking photos. I'll be back.

parker said...

This is my first visit to your site. Very nice concept. This is very useful information , which all of us photographers, new and old, are always seeking!