Saturday 9 April 2011

Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler spot the difference!

Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler
The above photo was taken yesterday at my local nature reserve I believe it to be a Chiffchaff but identification is not easy. I have asked a couple of my bird watching friends and at the moment it is a 50-50 split in opinion.
 It is very hard indeed to tell a Chiffchaff from a Willow Warbler!
There are a few clues Chiffchaffs usually have darker legs and shorter wings, however unless you hear them singing you can never be 100% sure. 
Number 1

Ok look at the above image is this a Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler? 
Before you make up your mind check the next image too.

Number2

Not easy is it?
Here is another one that I took in the same area.


Again I think I am right to believe this is a Chiffchaff, but if anyone knows better please let me know.



9 comments:

Montanagirl said...

I really don't know either. I have never seen either one. Do you have a good bird book?

Arti said...

Beautifully captured... Though I am of no use as I have never seen the two types of birds!! Just stumbled on your blog, its fantastic...
Have a lovely sunday:)

Lisa said...

Stunning shot.. Just stunning.

Carla said...

These guys are adorable. Not sure who they are. Love the blue sky.. Carla

MadSnapper said...

precious is what they are and the first one looks like he is sitting in a swing.

taio said...

superbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Chris said...

I think it is a chiffchaff... The size is also different and the willow warbler tend to be bigger and more yellow. Beautiful shots!

T. Becque said...

I am so not the person to know the difference! About all I can do is think "Oh, what a pretty bird!" :)

Unknown said...

it is definatley a chiffchaf by the markings across its eye.are different to willow warbler as it a slightly thicker bar across top of the eye plus slight curve. nice pic thou.